Part of the mission of the Roger’s Community Garden is to allow students, staff, faculty, and alumni on the UCSD campus the chance to become more intimately connected with their environment. In pursuit of this goal, the RCG will be leasing out plots of land in the garden to people associated with UCSD. So here are the details:
-Leased plots are available to current UCSD students, staff, faculty, alumni and community members.
-Plots are leased for 6 months following the major seasons of San Diego. Season One goes from the beginning of Spring Quarter to the day before Fall Quarter starts. Season Two goes from the beginning of Fall Quarter to the end of Winter Break.
-The RCG will collect a fee for leased plots:
Students leasing a plot will pay $30 for the 6 month period
Graduate Students leasing a plot will pay $50 for the 6 month period
Staff, Alumni and Community Members leasing a plot will pay $70 for the 6 month period
-This fee will serve to cover the costs of tool use, soil supplements, upkeep of seed bank and other general maintenance provided by the RCG
-Lessees will also agree to perform the following duties as a part of their lease agreement:
- Lessees must commit to 2 work days every month to the general maintenance of the garden
- Must attend Every Meeting, held on the First Sunday of the Month
- Lessees must participate in the weekly watering schedule.
- Lessees must keep their plot well maintained. That is, the plot must not lie fallow, must be kept relatively free of weeds, and must not disturb neighboring plots
-In maintaining the RCG’s status as an organic garden practicing sustainable agricultural methods, lessees further agree to the following conditions:
- No chemical fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, or repellents may be used ANYWHERE inside the RCG
- Watering must be done in a sustainable manner, which does not draw heavily on our water resources
-Lessees will finally agree that if they do not maintain a position in compliance with the above stated rules, the RCG reserves the right to re-assign the plot of land and will not refund the leasing fee.
If you are interested in applying for a plot, please fill out the application form above and stop by the garden on one of our Saturday or Sunday work days! Email us with any additional questions.